SCREENWAVE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL IS EPIC
Move over Cannes, Melbourne and Sundance, there’s a new player and she’s totally a goer. Now in it’s 6th year the Screenwave International Film Festival, set in the coastal city of Coffs Harbour has awakened the Balrog and ignited the flame for culture and arts in regional NSW.
Film buffs eat your heart out – There’s two weeks of film from across the globe, incredible LIVE performance where films are set to bands literally paying the soundtrack to the flick – Am I being Punked…? Ashton…? Oh yeah and the whole thing is presented by next level bespoke furniture dudes Ashton Designs. Arty much?
It all starts with the sizzle reel boasting an incendiary musical composition by the incredibly talented (and also local) Scott Collins and Amber Davis – check it – Volume UP to 11 people!
Food buffs eat your heart out, and eat some actual food too! There’s degustation dinners with acclaimed executive chefs Richie Dolan and Carla Jones from The Hilltop Store and Hilltop At The Lodge – matched wines and beers, yes please!
There’s quite simply a TONNE of goodness set for SWIFF 2021 – here’s our pick!
OUR TOP PICKS FOR THE FEST
- SWIFF LIVE: Film – Wake in Fright with the Rhyece o’Neill Band in LIVE accompanyment on Friday April 16th
- SWIFF x Hilltop Wine Degustation Dinner on Wed April 21st – Foodies get excited !
- BELLINGEN – THE PROMISED LAND – Wed 21 Apr 3:30 PM – What some called an influx of hippies, others called an invasion on the conservative lifestyle of farmers, causing a clash of ideals.
- ASMF Swell Chaser – To Swell and Back – Sat April 17 – 3PM – 5 jaw-dropping films that capture the world’s best big wave surfers battling the biggest waves on the planet. Featuring some of the world’s best big wave riders, including: Kai Lenny, Rodrigo Koxa, Matahi Drollet, Ross Clarke-Jones, Dan Corbett, Bradley Norris, Henry Davies, Shane Ackerman, Jake Osman and many more.
- HIGH GROUND – April 21 – 6PM – The year is 1919. Australian colonial soldier Travis (Simon Baker, Breath) leads a military operation that goes horribly wrong, ending in the massacre of nearly an entire tribe of Indigenous Dharrpa people.
- MINARI – Sat Apr 17 3:45 PM – Hot Oscar contender, Minari is a tender, sweeping story that follows a Korean-American family in search of the American Dream.
- SUPERNOVA – Fri Apr 16 4:00 PM – Longtime couple Sam (Colin Firth) and Tusker (Stanley Tucci) are travelling across England in their old RV, recapturing and reliving old memories and experiences together, knowing the onset of Tusker’s dementia diagnosis will soon change their relationship – and their lives – permanently.
- WHITE RIOT – Tue Apr 27 2:15 PM – With the exploding punk scene in Britain clashing with the growth of the xenophobic National Front in the late 1970s, and famous musos making anti-immigration statements on stage, a group of creatives including photographer Red Saunders, and Aussie graphic artist Ruth Gregory, banded together to create Rock Against Racism (RAR) and the zine Temporary Holding.
HOW DO I GET TIX?
Super simple – Visit Pacific Coast has teamed up with SWIFF to offer 6, 12 and 18 film festival passes.
Just grab your pass and you’re set to start booking in all your faves
STAY, PLAY AND ENJOY
We’ve teamed up with Coffs Harbour’s Observatory Apartments to make it easy for you to stay and play at SWIFF 2021. You can literally wander down the hill to the theatre, there’s a bunch of great restaurants on your doorstep, together with a sweet selection of craft beers at the local Element bar. And yeah, you’re also right on the harbour so it’s pretty hard to top.
THE LAST BIT…
The crew at SWIFF are seriously looking forward to seeing you at this year’s event – Seriously… here’s what Dave (Festival Director) said to tell you:
We welcome all of our travelling visitors from around Australia to the 2021 Screenwave International Film Festival. Prepare for 16 days full of film screenings, gala events, premieres, filmmaker guest session, industry events and live performances. There will be over 120 different sessions for you to choose from this year. We look forward to having you at the festival!
Visit Pacific Coast is super proud to be aligned with a festival setting a benchmark for arts and culture on the North Coast of NSW. What tremendous example of the new generation, showcasing our incredible area to the nation and indeed the world – See you there!